Tuesday, January 6, 2009

For my Girlfriends...

I begin this post by writing that I give 100% glory to God for what I want to share. I know that without His power, I cannot accomplish anything on my own. In 2008, I was watching "The Biggest Loser" show. I was somewhat saddened that our country would embrace obesity by creating a show about weight loss. In my own embarrassment, I realized that I had 20 lbs. that had been creeping on from having babies. I decided to figure out what I had to do to be 20 lbs. lighter. I thought that it was going to have to be this formula that only a genius could figure out with an exercise regimen that required 2 hours a day. What I found to be true was that it's very simple. I began counting calories and walking. I cut back my caloric intake by 500 calories and exercised 5 times a week for 30 minutes (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm helped me figure this out). In 4 months, I have been able to lose 21 lbs. I really felt that God wanted me to share this 1)because I need somebody to celebrate with me! and 2)I know that many of us set this New Year's resolution and never follow through. We all have this crazy rationale that keeps us from being the slim woman that we want to be. Believe me, I have said them all. But, I have also conquered them too. I have 6 children, 4 preschoolers at home, serve in ministry, have been up several times during the night, love going out to eat, have sore knees, am married and have date nights, been exhausted, gone through major hard losses in life, wished that I had planned better, etc. I found that I had to have perseverance and by God's grace, I have 9 lbs. to conquer before March 1. Sometimes, I have had to work out before bed or get up at 5 AM. I survived the holidays and didn't gain a pound. So...I challenge you to really get going. Make it bigger than skipping the cookie or not choosing dessert after a meal. Counting calories might feel consuming, but it is to accomplish a greater goal. It gets easier once you get in a routine. Get good sleep at night. And, get out those old exercise tapes and get moving. YOU CAN DO IT!!! I really want to be of some encouragement to you. I know that I needed someone to give me a swift kick...too bad it was TV. Let me know if you have decided to get moving. I would love to pray for your motivation and know that I have another person working alongside me. We can do great things for God in our healthier slimmer selves!!!

7 comments:

schwadette said...

Hey girl (it's Jodie.... found your blog on your facebook page)... just had to share that I just joined Weight Watchers. :) I have about 25 to lose... UGH! I've been working out (cardio and strength) since this summer - and even though things have gotten better, the weight is still there. Time to deal with the eating habits... the hardest thing of all for me! CONGRATS on the loss! :) Keep up the good work - you only have 9 more to go! I have a friend at church who has lost 50... doing the same as you - walking and calorie counting. :) Strong work....!

Eight Is Enough said...

Keep up the great work on the work out. I will say that the food counting made the biggest difference for me. You would be surprised how quickly it adds up!!! I will pray for you. Let me know how it goes as you get started.

shelli said...

Yeah! I am so proud of you! Congrats... really what an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Hey Jennifer! I thought that you looked like you'd lost some weight! You look great! I wanted to invite you to join me and about 3 of my friends. We started our own Biggest Loser club and we weigh in each Tuesday. We keep each other accountable, pray for each other and work out together! We are stay at home moms who just need each other! Two of them have had babies recently and I of course never lost my baby weight from 3 yrs ago! Yikes! You are more than welcome to join us!
By the way Katie was pretending to be you this morning and was teaching everybody cheers! I thought that was cute!
Keep up the good work! I look forward to getting to know you more!

Jon's Supercutie said...

Hey Jen!
It's Suzanna. Great job on the weight loss and more importantly life change that you have made!! I have been doing Weight Watchers for the past couple years... I am at lifetime since April of last year and lost just over 40 lbs. I am now 16 weeks pregnant and doing my very best not to put on the 70 lbs. I did with Eliana. I began running and that was the key!! Keep on going you can do it! I am cheering you on!:)

Andrew said...

Any tips for the person who has to buy food that doesn't have that little box to show you the amount of calories per serving? Romania must not believe in such a thing.
-Leah :)

Travis,Stephanie, Olivia & Alex said...

Great Job !!
you inspired me :)
i joined a gym last week and loving it. thanks for sharing !!!